Toasted tortillas layered with green enchilada sauce, pepper jack cheese, portobello mushrooms and melted with queso fresco. Top with all your favorite fixings and this easy dish will quickly become your summer favorite.
- Course: Entrée
All you need for this recipe and more...
For the Enchilada:
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large red bell pepper, diced
12 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ whole lime, juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup cilantro
3 (approx. 10 inches) flour tortillas, toasted
10 ounces green enchilada sauce
2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 cup queso fresco
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, add in diced red bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes. Add 2 additional tablespoons of vegetable oil and then add in portobellos, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until all liquid has fully evaporated.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in garlic and cilantro and cook for two minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate skillet on medium high heat, toast each side of your tortillas. Remember to flip once the blisters start to get golden brown. In a shallow pan or dish add your green enchilada sauce and lightly dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce for coating.
- To assemble the pie, add just enough enchilada sauce to lightly coat the bottom of your skillet. Place one tortilla in the bottom of the skillet, top with half of the portobello mixture, then one cup of pepper jack cheese. Repeat with one more tortilla, the rest of the portobello mixture, and another cup cheese. Top with a third tortilla, the remaining enchilada sauce, and one cup of crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top. Slice and serve with extra green sauce and your favorite ingredients like: thinly sliced red onion, cilantro, sliced avocado, diced tomatoes and Mexican crema.