Classic whoopie pies get a fun and festive twist with peppermint buttercream. Dressed up with a dollop of chocolate ganache and crushed candy canes, these are a must for your holiday celebrations!
- Yield: 13 whoopie pies
All you need for this recipe and more...
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
For the peppermint buttercream filling:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the chocolate ganache:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Crushed peppermint candy or candy canes, red sprinkles, and edible luster or pearl dust for decorating, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Scoop batter onto prepared cookie sheets using a 1-ounce ice cream or cookie scoop, leaving about 2 inches between each cake. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until set. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the peppermint buttercream: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add vanilla, peppermint extract and heavy cream, and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
- For the chocolate ganache: Place chocolate in a small bowl and set aside. In Farberware Classic Series 1-quart saucepan, bring heavy cream up to a scald over medium heat. Pour over chocolate and stir until smooth. Stir in light corn syrup, and set ganache aside, stirring occasionally. The ganache should be slightly warm for assembly.
- To assemble the whoopie pies, fit a piping bag with large star tip and fill with peppermint buttercream. Fill cooled cakes with buttercream and then sprinkle the crushed peppermint candy around the edges so that it adheres to the buttercream.
- Spoon a tablespoon of warm ganache on top of each whoopie pie. Garnish with additional crushed peppermint candy, red sprinkles and edible dust. Serve right away.