Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese With BaconBy Star Brown
This Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese With Bacon is perfect comfort food for the Holidays! It's every bit as healthy, as it is rich and indulgent! Plus it's got bacon! What's not to love?
- Cuisine: American
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 8 ounces of elbow macaroni
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese grated
- 5 cups of butternut squash cubed
- 3.5 cups of chicken broth
- 3/4 cup of low fat milk
- 6 slices of center-cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- parsley optional
- In a 5-Quart Stock Pot, cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a 5 qt. sauté pan or deep skillet, cook 6 Slices of bacon until crisp. Chop up and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until pieces are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add butternut squash cubes to the onions, along with 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to cook until squash is soft, and most of the liquid is reduced.
- Pour squash & onions from the sauté pan into a bowl and add the milk, the rest of the chicken broth, dry mustard, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Now use the immersion blender to purée until it's completely smooth & creamy. (*If you don't have an immersion blender, a standard blender will work just fine.)
- Pour puréed sauce back into the sauté pan. Over low heat, add all of the Parmesan cheese and ¾ of the sharp cheddar cheese a little bit at a time, stirring constantly. Then add the Noodles and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped bacon, remaining cheese, and a bit of chopped parsley if desired.