Give taco night a makeover with these turkey taco boats! We're swapping out taco shells for crisp lettuce wraps for a light and satisfying meal that's bursting with flavor!
- Yield: 6-8 taco boats
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced and divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 3 hearts romaine lettuce 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, for topping
- 1 avocado, diced for topping
- 1 tomato, diced for topping
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook for 5-6 minutes, making sure to break up the meat as it cooks.
- Add diced pepper, onion (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and oregano, and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, until pepper and onion are softened.
- Stir in salsa and chicken broth. Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and all the flavors come together. Remove from the heat and cover with lid so filling stays warm while prepping the lettuce and toppings.
- To serve, stack two lettuce leaves together and spoon in taco filling. Top with shredded cheese, avocado, tomato, and red onion.