Surf & Turf Skewers are a fun twist for weekend entertaining. Using thinly sliced skirt steak, fresh jumbo shrimp, cherry tomatoes and shishito peppers create a savory combination of flavors that are sure to impress your friends and family.
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Entre
All you need for this recipe and more...
For the Chimichurri:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, finely diced
1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3-1/2 cup olive oil, taste as you go
For the Surf & Turf Skewers
1.5 - 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and tenderized
1-2 pounds fresh large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-2 pints cherry tomatoes on the vine
1 pound shishito peppers, cut in half
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for pan – note: Vegetable oil is better for high temperature cooking)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
Skewers about 8 inches in length
1. Preparation for Chimichurri: Mix vinegar, salt, garlic, shallot and jalapeño or Serrano pepper together in a medium-sized bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Stir in parsley, cilantro and oregano.
3. Whisk in the oil slowly until well combined, but not too oily.
4. Season with salt to taste.
5. Store in fridge, in a sealed container for up to one week. Note: If using wooden skewers to soak in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
6. Preparation for Surf & Turf Skewers: Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper and allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
7. Thinly slice the steak into strips or dice into 1-1.5 inch cubes for skewers.
8. Peel the shrimp by pulling the outer shell off starting from the legs.
9. To devein the shrimp, simply cut a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the dark intestine.
10. Gently remove it with a pairing knife, rinse under cold water and set aside.
11. Toss shrimp, tomatoes and shishito peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper.
12. Assemble steak, tomatoes, peppers and shrimp on skewers in a random order.
13. Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to an Anolon Try Ply Grill Pan, and turn burners to medium-high heat.
14. Cook skewers for 3-4 minutes per side until char marks appear and meat is cooked through.
15. Lightly brush the cooked skewers with chimichurri sauce and enjoy!