- Yield: 4 Servings
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pound skirt steak
- kosher salt , to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers , drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil , coarsely chopped if large leave
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place an 12" cast iron skillet in the oven and let it heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place skirt steak on a cutting board and season generously on both sides with kosher salt and pepper to taste. If necessary, cut the steak to ensure it will fit in the skillet.
- Turn a burner to high. Carefully remove skillet from the oven and place it over the hot burner. Lower steak into pan and cook undisturbed for 2 to 3 minutes or until nicely browned with edges beginning to cook. Wrap a tea towel or potholder around the handle of the pan to remind yourself not to touch it—it will retain its heat for a long time. Flip the steak, and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any burnt bits clinging to the pan. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Coarsely chop the olives and add to the bowl along with the capers. Toss to combine. Mince the clove of garlic and set aside.