This incredibly simple skillet cake keeps well for several daysâ€”if you donâ€™t eat it all before then. Keep it at room temperature covered in plastic wrap.
- Course: Dessert
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 medium bananas, cut on a slight angle into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, (3-4 medium)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the topping, melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the rum and cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Off the heat stir in the sliced bananas, turning to coat with the sugar mixture
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly butter an Anolon Vesta Cast Iron 12-inch skillet.
- Combine the sugar, melted butter and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring until well mixed. Stir in the mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until just moistened. Transfer to the prepared skillet. Place the sliced bananas on the batter and spoon the liquid left in the skillet over them.
- Bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the banana bread comes out clean, about 42-44 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 20-30 minutes before slicing.