At once rustic and sophisticated, this dish can be on the table in less than 45 minutes.
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- cayenne pepper
- chopped sage
- cubed pumpkin or other winter squash
- garlic cloves
- ground black pepper
- lemon juice
- Light brown sugar
- medium onions
- olive oil
- penne pasta
- unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450Â°F. Lightly oil a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the pumpkin, 2 teaspoons of the oil, sugar and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the pumpkin, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 33-35 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, 8-9 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to the bowl with the pumpkin. Return skillet to the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter and swirl the pan until melted. Cook the butter until is has turned brown and has a nutty aroma, about 4 minutes. Stir in the sage and lemon juice