This softly gelled fruit soup, topped with a healthy serving of fresh fruit and drizzled with a rich-tasting sauce, is elegant, easy, light, and delicious.
- Agar flakes
- Agave syrup
- Fine sea salt
- Fresh fruit or berries
- Fruit Soup:
- apricot or apple juice
- pure vanilla extract
- unsalted cashews
- Silky Smooth Cashew Sauce:
- Fruit Soup: Measure the agar into a medium saucepan. Pour in the juice but do not stir or heat. Set aside for 15 minutes or longer to allow the agar to soften. This helps the agar dissolve easily and thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Uncover, reduce the heat to low and stir to release any bits of agar that may be stuck on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the salt, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring a few times. Check the juice and the bottom of the saucepan for specks of agar. If necessary, stir and simmer longer, until the agar has completely dissolved. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, or until softly set. Stir before serving.
- Silky Smooth Cashew Sauce: Process the nuts in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade until they are very finely ground. Add the water and process 1 minute. Clean the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the agave, vanilla and salt. Process another minute or until perfectly smooth. The sauce is ready to use but can be refrigerated in a covered container up to 4 days.