Summer’s bounty turns a classic meat sauce into a meal worth celebrating. Serve it over farfalle pasta.
- Yield: Makes 4-6 servings (6 cups)
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the beef and cook, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 8-9 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
2. Return the skillet to the stove and heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and cook 2 minutes longer until starting to soften. Add the tomatoes and cook until just starting to wilt, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the reserved beef and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil, cheese, salt, and pepper.