Rolled oats are the secret to making rich tasting cream-free cream of vegetable soups. You can substitute zucchini, winter squash or most any vegetable for the carrots.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- rolled oats
- Vegetable stock
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium low heat about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are soft, but not browned. Add the carrots to the onions and cook 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the vegetable stock, using just enough of the 4 cups to cover the vegetables by 1 inch. Add the oats and cook to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan and simmer about 15 minutes until the carrots are tender. Stir a few times.
- Blend the soup in a blender in batches to avoid burns. Do not fill the blender more than a scant half full each time. Start your blender on low, and then blend on high until the soup is velvety smooth.
- Stir the lemon juice into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into serving bowls and enjoy.
- Add more or less of the cooking liquid to adjust the consistency of the soup to your taste, some like it thicker and some like it thinner.