No one will ever guess that this remarkable cake with its creamy citrus-scented crumb is made without eggs, dairy or cholesterol.
- 2 large oranges
- aluminum-free baking powder
- apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda
- Fine sea salt
- finely ground whole toasted almonds
- freshly squeezed orange juice
- fruity olive oil
- orange-flavored chocolate bar
- organic sugar
- organic white all-purpose flour
- organic whole wheat pastry flour
- pure almond extract
- pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350Â° F. Oil an 8 -inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper cut to fit. Do not oil the parchment.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the white flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder and sift into the bowl. Stir 5 tablespoons of the ground almonds into the dry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, oil, zest, vinegar and vanilla and almond extracts and whisk until well combined. Pour into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rotate the pan to level the batter and tap it lightly on the counter. Bake 45 to 48 minutes or until the cake is golden brown, the sides have started to pull away from the pan and a tester inserted in the center of the cake is clean is holds just a few moist crumbs. The cake will be well risen, but will compact as it cools.
- Place the cake pan on a cooling rack. Run a thin knife between the cake and pan.