There are many theories about how the eggless egg cream got its name. One leading story is that this iconic New York soda fountain drink sounded richer and more luxurious when it was thought to have an egg in itâ€”but was more affordable to the masses without it.
16 brownies and shooters
- all-purpose flour +additional for dusting
- Baking powder
- chilled seltzer or club soda
- Coffee Brownies
- Egg Cream Shooters
- Ground cinnamon
- instant espresso powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- unsalted butter + additional for pan
- unsweetened chocolate
- Vanilla Extract
- vanilla syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325Â°F. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan with additional softened butter and dust with a little additional flour to coat.
- Bring a 3-quart saucepan of water to a simmer over medium heat. Place the unsweetened chocolate, butter and espresso powder in a bowl and set over the water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, eggs, and extract in a separate bowl and mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and spread to an even thickness.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 36-38 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove brownies from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut brownies with a serrated knife in to 16. Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a small glass bowl and microwave in 5-8 seconds bursts, stirring chocolate in between until melted. Transfer the chocolate to a small plastic bag with one corner snipped off and drizzle over the brownies. Place in the refrigerator to allow chocolate to set.
- Combine the syrup and milk in a tall glass. Slowly pour in the seltzer while vigorously stirring the milk mixture until combined and the egg cream has a thick white foam on top. Immediately pour the egg cream into 16 shooter glasses and serve each with a brownie.