- Course: Side Dish
- crusts removed and bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Butternut squash
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Sage leaves
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400Â°F. Grease a 9x13â€ casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the sage. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the squash on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender, about 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the bacon, cook on low heat until just starting to crisp, then add the onions. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the onions are tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with the milk. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and Â½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir in the bread and let stand for 10 minutes. Fold in the squash and the bacon and onions. Transfer the mixture to a prepared casserole dish and bake for about 1 hour, until lightly golden on top. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- The prepared casserole can be covered and refrigerated or frozen several days before baking.