Hazelnuts and chocolate partner in this lush dessert, finished with a touch of fruit to make a gorgeous summer treat. Feel free to adjust the balance of milk and dark chocolate to your own preference.
- Chocolate Filling
- corn starch
- crÃ¨me fraiche or Mascarpone
- dark chocolate pieces
- milk chocolate pieces
- Powdered sugar
- or other berries of choice
- roasted hazelnuts
- To Serve:
- Vanilla Extract
- Whipping cream
- To make the pastry, place the hazelnuts in a food processor and process to a coarse crumb. Remove from processor and set aside. Add the flour, cornstarch, sugar and butter to the food processor and process to a fine crumb. Add the hazelnuts and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Lightly grease and dust individual tart tins or 1 large flan.
- Add the egg and pulse on and off a few times until the mixture just starts to come together. Transfer to a well-floured board and knead gently to smooth dough.
- Roll out pastry to fit tin, prick base several times with a fork, line base with foil or parchment and cover with dry beans or rice and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and beans and continue to bake 3-5 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool. These can be stored up to a week in a sealed container before using.
- To make the filling, place chocolate in a large microwave proof bowl or in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (not touching water). Melt in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on medium, stirring halfway through, or over water, stirring until melted. Stir in the vanilla extract, then sift over the powdered sugar, and stir through. Whip the cream until it just holds peaks, then fold into the melted chocolate. Pour into the pastry cases, and smooth the top. Chill for at least 2 hours or for up to 2 days.
- To serve, top with CrÃ¨me Fraiche, if using, and the fruit. Sprinkle with a little powdered chocolate and enjoy!