For a lighter, gluten-free variation of a family favorite, substitute zucchini for pasta and toss it with olive oil and vegetables to mimic the flavor profile of a typical spaghetti dinner.
- skinless chicken breasts
- grape tomatoes
- Green onions
- Italian seasoning
- Large Red Bell Pepper
- medium zucchini
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt and pepper. One at a time, place the chicken breasts into a gallon-sized zip-top bag and use the smooth side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin to pound them to an even thickness.
- Place the chicken on the grates of a pre-heated grill pan, set between 450Â°F - 500Â°F to quickly sear the meat on both sides (2 or 3 minutes, per side). Use tongs to turn the meat, so you don't prick the seared surface and allow the juices to escape. Reduce the heat on the grill to about 350Â°F and allow the meat to cook until it reaches an internal temperature around 155Â°F. Move the chicken to a platter and cover it with foil. It will continue to cook on the platter and should reach 165Â°F by the time you are ready to serve it.
- Cut the four, washed unpeeled zucchini into spaghetti. (You can use a handheld spiral cutter, or if you're great with a knife, julienne your own veggies). Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of two different skillets. In one skillet, cook the finely diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, garlic and Italian seasoning over medium high heat until the vegetables are hot and tender crisp, not mushy. In the other skillet, add the zucchini noodles to the oil, over medium high heat. Zucchini has lots of water content and as it cooks, you will see your huge pile of zucchini quickly begin to shrink down into the pan and lots of moisture will be cooking off. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until the spaghetti is hot and slightly tender.
- Drain the liquid that has cooked off the zucchini and then return the drained noodles to the skillet with your other vegetables.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the butter and halved grape tomatoes. Stir until butter has melted and tomatoes are hot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile a serving of zucchini spaghetti in the center of a plate and top with a grilled chicken breast, sliced diagonally.