Veal Osso Buco is the perfect cold weather dish. Itâ€™s rich and hearty and filled with tomatoes, vegetables and a splash of dry white wine. Perfect when served next to buttery mashed potatoes.
- Course: Dinner
- Bay Leaf
- can diced tomatoes
- celery stalks
- Chicken Stock
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Cloves garlic
- Dry White Wine
- kosher salt and pepper
- lemon zest
- olive oil
- sprig fresh rosemary
- sprigs fresh thyme
- tomato paste
- veal shanks
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Lay out veal shanks and season with kosher salt and pepper. Lightly dust with flour and set aside.
- In a cast iron Dutch oven, add olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, brown all sides of the veal shanks. Once browned, remove from the pan.
- Add in carrots, celery and shallots. Cook for about 15 minutes, just until the mixture starts to soften.
- Add in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add wine to the pan and cook down until thereâ€™s about Â¼ cup remaining.
- Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Â½ cup chicken stock, fresh thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Add in veal shanks, cover and braise for about 2 hours. Add in more chicken stock if necessary.
- The shanks are fully cooked when the meat feels tender but not mushy. Start checking doneness around the 1-1/2 hour mark.