This umami-packed upgrade of the classic pastrami sandwich delivers layer upon layer of savory flavor and a beguiling combination of sweet, salty, pungent, meaty and creamy.
- Yield: 4 servings
All you need for this recipe and more...
For the Onion Jam:
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold unsalted butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Panini:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 16 thin slices Swiss cheese, about 6 ounces
- 12 ounces thinly sliced pastrami
- 3 tablespoons Kerrygold unsalted butter, softened
- For the onion jam, melt the butter in a large nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, garlic and sugar
- Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl and set aside.
- Place 4 slices of the rye bread on a work surface and spread each with the mayonnaise mixture. Top each with 2 slices of the cheese and 3 ounces of pastrami. Evenly spoon the onion jam over the pastrami then top each with 2 slices of the cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread on each sandwich. Spread the outside of each sandwich with the softened butter.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches