These soft sugar cookies are sweetened with apple cider, giving them a subtle apple flavor. The delightful hint of apple carries over to the brown sugar salted caramel frosting - also flavored with a splash of cider.
- Yield: 12 cookies
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
1. In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, reduce apple cider to ½ cup.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray the wells of a heart molded cookie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and sugar until well combined. Beat in vanilla, egg, and reduced cider.
5. Slowly beat in dry ingredients until just combined.
6. Divide batter evenly between the wells of the prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are just beginning to brown. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat.
2. Add brown sugar and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir regularly. When sugar reaches a boil, wait two minutes and then add cider. Continue to stir until the caramel returns to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. When caramel is cool enough to touch, mix in powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
4. Spread on cooled cookies.