An Asian twist on a classic Italian dish, Australian lamb shanks are slowly cooked with Thai spices and white wine, then served over cilantro flavored rice â€“ comfort food with a fresh lively kick!
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- Australian lamb shanks
- chopped fresh cilantro
- coconut milk
- diced fresh ginger
- Dry White Wine
- grape seed or organic canola oil
- Jasmine or short grain rice
- juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- lemon grass
- olive or grape seed oil
- rice vinegar
- Thai Green Curry Paste
- White onion
- Trim lamb shanks of excess fat and sinew and place in large dish.
- Combine coconut milk, lime juice and zest, curry paste, and half of the lemon grass and ginger. Pour over shanks. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 2-3 hours, turning lamb occasionally. Drain the lamb well, pour marinade through a sieve and set aside.
- Heat oil in large casserole dish and sautÃ© onion with remaining lemon grass and ginger. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Add the marinade and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until cooked as preferred.
- When the lamb is nearly cooked, prepare the rice. Place cilantro in the small bowl of a food processor and add oil and vinegar. Process until smooth, adding more oil if necessary to make a sauce consistency. Set aside. Cook rice according to directions on the package and fluff with fork. Fold through half of the cilantro dressing.
- To serve, spoon rice onto plates and top with lamb shank. Spoon over strained pan juices and drizzle with remaining cilantro dressing.
- Tips & Techniques