Mexican meets Italian in this comforting pasta dish. Filled with loads of fresh flavors and topped crushed tortilla chips, this will definitely become a go-to dinner!
- Yield: Serves 4-6
- Course: Dinner
All you need for this recipe and more...
12 ounces pasta, such as rotelle
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 and 1/4 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, diced, divided
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, such as Rotel
3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled up
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
Cilantro for garnish
1. Bring a Farberware® PURECOOK Ceramic Nonstick 5 Qt. Dutch Oven of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup cooking water, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a Farberware® PURECOOK Ceramic Nonstick 5-Quart Jumbo Cooker over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Add onion (reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish), garlic, bell pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano, and cook until onion and pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste and continue to cook another 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and green chilies, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing everything to simmer together.
4. Add cream cheese, cooked pasta and about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and stir together. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the pasta is coated. Taste to adjust seasonings and add remaining 1/4 cup of pasta water if necessary.
4. Turn off heat and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover with lid and let stand for about 5-7 minutes, allowing the residual heat to melt the cheese.
5. Right before serving, garnish with crumbled up tortilla chips. Toss diced tomatoes with remaining onion and cilantro, and layer on top of tortilla chips.
Recipe created by Farberware® Cookware food blogger partner and recipe developer Meghan McGarry, of Buttercream Blondie.