- Course: Appetizer
- Baking powder
- Chopped fresh oregano
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- Yellow onion
- Cut the kernels from the corn by holding an ear, base down, in a bowl and, with a sharp knife, cutting close to the cob in downward strokes.
- Using a grater, grate the onion. Using your hands, squeeze the onion as dry as you can.
- Put the corn and onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the flour, baking powder, half the salt and the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oregano and mix. Add the egg and mix well.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, pour in enough olive oil to film by a scant 1/4 inch.
- When it is hot, drop the corn mixture by heaping teaspoons into the oil, about 1-inch apart. Press down gently with the back of a wooden spoon and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn and fry the other side, about 1 minute.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined platter to drain. Repeat, adding more oil and reducing the heat if necessary. To serve, sprinkle with the remaining sea salt and oregano and serve hot or warm.