Serve this delightful meatless main course with a green salad in any season. This is a family recipe from Kathleen Barsotti, who founded Farm Fresh To You in 1976. She raised her sons on the farm, which they now own and operate.
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil or butter
- 3 1/2 cups of chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup of minced cabbage
- 1 tbsp of dry white wine
- 1/3 cup of light ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp of minced fresh parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 8 cooked jumbo macaroni shells (cooked without salt or fat)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 can of low-sodium chicken broth undiluted
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 can of tomato paste no-salt-added
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook onion in oil or butter until tender.
- Add spinach, cabbage, and wine
- Stir in ricotta cheese, parsley and pepper to taste
- Spoon 2-1/2 tablespoons spinach mixture into each cooked macaroni shell. Arrange the shells in a baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray
- Combine broth and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.