Based on a classic Italian pasta dish where the sauce is made from rustic bread soaked in milk and mixed with nuts and herbs to make a thick creamy sauce, my version is a little lighter, crunchier and bright.
- ciabatta or baguette bread
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh ricotta cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- walnut or olive oil
- white wine
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Combine the walnuts and bread crumbs and place on baking tray. Bake in a 350ÂºF oven or under a broiler until nuts are toasted.
- Set aside 6-8 walnuts for garnish and transfer the remaining mixture to a food processor or bowl. Add the basil, lemon and cheese and grind or mash with a fork to a make a coarse crumble mixture.
- Cook the pasta according to directions on packet, drain, and return to pan with a few tablespoons of the cooking water, the oil, if using, and wine.
- Add arugula and cook until it has just wilted. Remove from heat and fold in the walnut sauce. Serve in large bowls and scatter with the remaining walnuts.
- Tips & Techniques