The topping may be doubled or tripled and used on yogurt, ice cream or waffles throughout the week.
- Cuisine: French
- Course: Breakfast
- Almond extract
- For the Toast
- For the topping:
- ground nutmeg
- large eggs
- ruby port
- sliced fresh nectarines
- sourdough bread
- unsalted butter
- unsweetened pomegranate juice
- To make the topping: melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides add the nectarines and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender but still holds its shape, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring the port, pomegranate juice, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Cook until mixture is syrupy enough to coat a spoon and is reduced to about scant 2/3 cup, about 20-22 minutes. Stir in the nectarines and cook 2 minutes
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, almond extract, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200°
- Wipe out the skillet and return to the stove over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter. Dip three to four slices of bread in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook until golden about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices. Serve warm topped with port mixture.