Scallops with Orange-Hazelnut Brown ButterBy Marge Perry & David Bonom
Sweet and subtle scallops deserve a fresh, nutty sauce with a delicate balance of bright citrus and rich butter.
- Yield: 4 Servings
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-3 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Increase the heat under the skillet to medium-high and melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Season the scallops with the salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook the scallops, until lightly browned and nearly cooked through, 2 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer scallops to a plate and reserve. Add the hazelnuts, garlic and orange zest to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the orange juice and cook until slightly thickened, about 45 seconds. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Add the scallops and any accumulated juices, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the prosciutto.