Traditionally biscotti are Italian semi-sweet cookies that are served with coffee or tea. Thereâ€™s no reason these twice-baked treats canâ€™t also be savory! These olive and rosemary biscotti are perfect for an easy make-ahead appetizer for a dinner party or buffet.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking powder
- black olives
- chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- fresh ground pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350Â°F. Line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and heat on high until melted. Lower heat to medium low and cook, stirring constantly, until the butterfat solids start to brown. Once you notice the solids start to turn slightly brown and smelly nutty, remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir until all the solids are a rich golden brown. Pour the butter and brown bits into a heatproof bowl or glass measuring cup to stop the cooking. Make sure to scrape all the brown bits out!
- Place the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, Parmesan cheese, chopped olives, rosemary, baking powder, pepper and salt in large bowl. Stir vigorously with a balloon whisk until all the ingredients are uniformly distributed. Beat the eggs and sugar together, then add them to the dry ingredients. Add the melted brown butter to the dry ingredients. Fold together with a large spatula until a dough forms.
- Form a long flat log, about 14 inches long, by 3 1/2 inches wide and about 1 inch tall. Bake in the oven for 25 to 20 minutes, or until the biscotti springs back when you touch it in the middle and it starts to look golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
- Once the biscotti has cooled, preheat the oven back to 300ËšF. Cut the biscotti with a sharp serrated knife into 1-inch thick cookies. Place back on the baking sheet and bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until the top of the cookies start to look dry and golden brown. Flip the cookies and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Once done, move biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely and serve.