Make these ahead for your next gathering: prepare the filling and keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Cook the mushroom caops the day of your party and fill them in the afternoon.
- Chopped parsley
- Cream cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- garlic cloves
- grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- large button mushrooms
- medium onion
- oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- panko breadcrumbs
- sweet Italian sausage
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop the stems and reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the sausage and cook, breaking into small crumbles, until browned, 9-10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the chopped mushroom stems to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the onion and garlic
- Toss the mushroom caps in a large bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Arrange the mushroom caps on a large baking sheet. Fill each mushroom with the sausage mixture, mounding as necessary and pressing slightly to help filling hold together. Bake mushrooms until tender and the filling is browned, 25-28 minutes.