- Course: EntrÃ©e
- All Purpose Flour
- corn flake crumbs
- Dried basil
- elbow macaroni
- Grated parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sweet Italian sausage
- tomato paste
- unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ï‚°F. Lightly brush a 3-quart baking dish with oil.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook 1 minute less than package directions
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the sausage and cook, breaking into smaller pieces, until browned and cooked through, 8-9 minutes
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the basil and cook, stirring 15 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until it turns a very pale brown, 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, whisk in the tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Add the mozzarella, cheddar and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted, about 1 minute. Pour mixture over the macaroni, add the reserved sausage and stir well to coat. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and combine with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and corn flake crumbs