Making a potato galette is an easy way to impress. With a quick cook on the stovetop to jump start the cooking and a longer bake time in the oven, the outer potatoes get crispy brown while the inner potatoes are soft and luscious. The hardest part of the whole thing is flipping it over onto a platter!
- Course: Side Dish
- cloves of garlic
- fresh chopped rosemary
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- shredded Gruyere cheese
- unsalted butter
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400Â°F. Combine the butter and olive oil together in a small glass measuring cup. Brush some of it all over the inside bottom and sides of a 3-quart nonstick sautÃ© pan.
- Add the rosemary and garlic to the remaining melted butter.
- Wash and dry the potatoes but donâ€™t peel them. Cut off the rounded ends of the potatoes and then thinly slice the potatoes with a mandoline or a sharp chef knife, about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a large bowl and drizzle the rosemary garlic butter over the potato slices. Gently toss to coat all the slices.
- Layer potato slices in a concentric circle around the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with a quarter of the shredded cheese and a very heavy pinch of salt and pepper. Repeat with more potatoes, cheese and salt and pepper, until you have used up all the potato slices and cheese. You should have 4 layers. If there is any leftover rosemary garlic oil in the bottom of the bowl, drizzle it over the top of the potatoes.
- Place on the stovetop on high heat and cook until you hear the potatoes start to sizzle. Let cook for 3 more minutes on high heat then move the potatoes to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a fork or knife slides easily into the middle of the galette and the potatoes are tender.
- Let the galette cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Then place a heatproof serving platter over the pan upside down. Using hot pads, grab the sautÃ© pan by itâ€™s long handle and itâ€™s helper handle and confidently flip the pan over. The galette will release onto the serving platter. Remove the pan and serve.