Pineapple upside down cake is always a crowd favorite. In this recipe, dark rum and ginger take the classic cake to a whole new level. It's a no fuss recipe full of flavor that's sure to impress!
- Yield: 1 9-inch Cake
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dessert
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking powder
- dark rum
- Ground ginger
- Light brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- pineapple rings in 100% juice
- unsalted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease one 9-inch cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter. Add light brown sugar and stir continuously over low heat for about 2-3 minutes till mixture is smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Place pineapple rings on top of mixture and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring. Set aside.
- Cream remaining butter (6 tablespoons) with sugar on medium speed of a mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract and dark rum till fully combined.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour batter on top of pineapple rings and bake cake for approximately 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes then run a small pairing knife around the edges just to loosen it. Place a large plate upside down on top of the cake and flip the pan over.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.