Filet Mignon ‘grilled’ on the cooktop for a crispy outside and finished in the oven for a perfectly tender inside.
- Course: Entrée
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 2 – 6 to 8 ounce filet mignon, cut 2” thick
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil (I prefer ghee because it doesn’t smoke)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and allow to rest on counter for a half hour. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and move oven rack in center position.
- Place oven safe grill pan on cooktop. Turn heat to high and allow pan to heat for two-three minutes. The key to making a steak with a crispy seared outside is a hot pan. While pan heats, sprinkle both sides of filet mignon with salt and pepper. Turn heat down to medium/high, add ghee or olive oil to hot pan. Carefully add steaks to grill pan. You should hear a loud pshhhh sound. Cook steak until a brown crust is established (about five minutes). Use tongs turn steaks. Sear second side and then place pan in oven.
3. Remove pan from oven, place ½ a tablespoon of butter on each steak and allow steaks to ‘rest’ for five minutes. Garnish with chives and serve.