Classic pecan pie gets transformed into an irresistible hand held treat with a golden shortbread crust and delicious pecan pie filling. Topped with chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt, these bars are sure to be the talk of the holiday table!
- All Purpose Flour
- dark chocolate
- For the Pecan Pie Filling:
- For the Shortbread:
- heavy cream
- Light brown sugar
- light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- Sea salt for garnish
- unsalted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Prepare the shortbread: Preheat oven to 325Â°F and spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and light brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and flour and continue to mix just until combined.
- Press shortbread dough evenly into the prepared pan and chill for at least 25 minutes.
- Bake shortbread for 18-20 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Remove from the oven, set on a cooling rack and raise the oven temperature to 350Â°F.
- For the filling, chop pecans and set aside. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, salt, light corn syrup and heavy cream, and simmer for one minute. Pour filling over shortbread and bake at 350Â°F for 20 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely, then refrigerate bars for a minimum of 6-8 hours, preferably over night. When ready to cut the bars, lift them out of the pan by the parchment paper and cut into squares.
- If drizzling with chocolate, melt chocolate over a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Using either a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle chocolate across bars. Garnish with sea salt if desired.