For a beautiful and elegant meal, serve two quail per personâ€”and by all means encourage diners to pick up the legs and eat with their hands!
- Course: Dinner
- balsamic vinegar
- coarse ground black pepper
- dark rum
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ground cumin
- seedless red grapes
- unsalted butter
- whole quails
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Set one rack in the lower third and one in the upper third of the oven.
- Place the quail in a large bowl and toss with the oil, cumin, allspice and salt. Combine the molasses, honey, rum and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour half of the molasses mixture over the quails and toss well. Truss the quail with butcherâ€™s twine then 8, breast side up, onto each of 2 Anolon Advanced 11 x 17-inch baking sheets.
- Roast the quail 10 minutes then rotate the baking sheets both top shelf to bottom and front to back. Roast 10 minutes longer until the skin is nicely browned and the quail is cooked through but still slightly pink near the bone, about 155F on an instant read thermometer.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce heat the oil in a Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully pour in the rum