Mint chocolate chip lovers will delight over these ethereal treats. You can use regular or mini dark chocolate chips.
- Yield: Makes 4 dozen marshmallows
- Canola Oil
- Cold Water
- confectionersâ€™ sugar
- dark chocolate chips
- Egg whites
- green food coloring
- light corn syrup
- mint extract
- Unflavored gelatin
- Lightly brush a 9 by 13-inch nonstick baking pan with oil.
- Combine the cornstarch and confectionersâ€™ sugar in a bowl and transfer to a wire mesh sieve. Shake the sieve over the pan to evenly coat it with the mixture. Reserve any leftover cornstarch mixture. (see step #7)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over 2/3 cup of the cold water in a bowl and let it stand to soften. Mix the sugar, corn syrup and remaining 1/3 cup water in an 2-quart saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with the whisk attachment on medium until frothy. When the sugar mixture on the stove reaches 220Â°F, increase the mixer speed to high and beat until eggs hold stiff peaks.
- When the syrup reaches 240Â°F-245Â°F, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites, with the mixer still on high speed. Transfer the gelatin mixture to the now-empty warm saucepan, and stir until it dissolves. Slowly pour the liquefied gelatin into the egg whites. Add the mint extract and food coloring if using
- Spread the marshmallow mixture evenly into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chops and let stand at room temperature at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Lightly brush a sharp knife with some oil then dust with some of the cornstarch mixture. Transfer the marshmallows to a cutting board and cut into 48 squares. Toss the cut marshmallows in a bowl with remaining cornstarch mixture