Make this outrageous breakfast only for friends and family you want to have over regularly: once served this, theyâ€™re likely to grace your door frequently. Top with warm maple syrup or honey.
- apples (Gala)
- Ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- Maple Syrup
- Mascarpone cheese
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 7 - 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool 10 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone.
- Place the slices of bread flat on the work surface and cut a horizontal slit in each to form a pocket. Stuff the pocket with the apple mixture.
- Whisk the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, eggs, milk, and salt in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200Â°F.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to the stove over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons of the remaining butter. Dip two of the bread slices in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.