The classic combination of lentils and peas makes an elegant yet accessible appetizer. The pancakes may be made up to one day in advance and the dish assembled 2-4 hours ahead of serving.
- Yield: Makes 48 pancakes (12 servings)
All you need for this recipe and more...
1/4 cup lentil du puy
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 pound sliced smoked salmon
6 tablespoons crème fraiche
6 chives, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1. Cook lentils according to package directions; drain.
2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Combine the buttermilk, egg, and butter in a separate bowl. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Batter will be slightly thick. Gently fold in lentils.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Drop batter 1 tablespoon at a time into skillet. Cook pancakes until the tops are just covered with a few bubbles and the edges are set, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until browned, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter.
4. To assemble, top pancakes with salmon and 1/2 teaspoon crème fraiche; garnish with the chives. May be made advance and refrigerated up to 4 hours ahead.