These delicious lemon cakes are filled with lemon crÃ¨me and topped with a luscious lemon frosting.
12-16 snack cakes
- all-purpose or cake flour
- Baking powder
- confectionersâ€™ sugar
- granulated sugar
- Lemon Cake:
- Lemon CrÃ¨me:
- Lemon Frosting:
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- unsalted butter
- For Lemon Cake: Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Grease a 9x9â€ square baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix the salt, baking powder, 1 cup sugar and flour together with a fork.
- In another bowl place the egg yolks and using a mixer, whip for 5-7 minutes until the yolks become thick and pale.
- Slowly add the flour mixture alternating with the butter, milk, and lemon juice. Finally mix in the lemon zest.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites into the cake mixture in 2 â€“ 3 installments using a spatula. Use round movements to avoid deflating the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on baking rack for 20 minutes.
- Invert the pan into the baking rack and unmold.
- Cool the cake completely.
- Wrap the cooled cake in plastic and freeze for a couple of hours for easy cutting and filling.
- For Lemon CrÃ¨me: Mix all the ingredients together until creamy.
- Spoon the crÃ¨me into a piping bag and snip the bottom.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and cut into small snack cakes.
- With a knife, make deep 3 incisions over the surface of the cakes making sure you leave a large pocket for the crÃ¨me.
- Insert the piping bag into each pocket and squeeze to stuff the pastries.
- Clean the tops of the cake and refrigerate while you make the frosting.
- For Lemon Frosting: Place butter, lemon juice and sugar into a bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until nice and creamy.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a #789 icing tip.
- Slowly pipe the frosting over surface.