Creamy béchamel and a meaty tomato sauce make this the standard-setter for lasagnas.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Dinner
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 ounces lean ground sirloin
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 6 ounces ground veal
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook according to package directions; drain. Rinse lasagna under cold water then drain again. Toss noodles with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Lightly oil a large shallow baking sheet and lay out noodles.
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and basil; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the ground beef, pork and veal; cook, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until meat just starts to brown, about 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until very thick and flavors have come together, 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- For the béchamel, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, nutmeg and salt and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserved 1/2 cup separately from the saucepan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan.
- Spread 1/4 cup béchamel over the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with three noodles. Spread noodles with 1/3 of the Bolognese then 1/3 of the béchamel and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layering twice more. Top the lasagna with the three remaining noodles then spread with the reserved 1/2 cup béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake lasagna 25 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 12-15 minutes until very hot and the top is lightly browned. Let stand at least 15 minutes before cutting.