We believe caramelized onions may be the key to all culinary successâ€”they make just about everything taste better! In this gratin, they are the perfect sweet, soft foil to hearty kale. The key to making achingly sweet, meltingly delicious caramelized onions is to take it nice and slow. Higher heat will cook the onions, but they wonâ€™t caramelize.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves
- ground black pepper
- Gruyere cheese
- heavy cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Red onion
- unsalted butter
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a Circulon Symmetry Choclate skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, sugar, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425Â°F.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter over medium heat. Add half of the kale and cook, tossing, until slightly wilted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer kale to the bowl with the onions
- Add half of the Gruyere cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the kale mixture and toss well. Transfer to a nonstick 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Pour the cream over the kale then sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the cream has thickened and the cheese is golden brown, about 53-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.