Homemade Pumpkin Ravioli with White Wine and Herb Butter SauceBy Marge Perry & David Bonom
Pre-made dumpling wrappers make short work of these ravioli, which are a luscious savory-sweet treat ideally suited for autumn entertaining. Be sure to use pumpkin puree and not canned pumpkin pie filling.
- Yield: 4 entrÃ©e servings or 8 appetizer servings
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- can pumpkin puree
- chopped fresh chives
- chopped fresh sage
- Chopped shallots
- Cold unsalted butter
- Dry White Wine
- grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- heavy cream
- pinch ground nutmeg
- plain dried breadcrumbs
- round dumpling wrappers
- Line a fine mesh sieve with dampened cheesecloth. Add the pumpkin puree and let strain 1 hour. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the egg, cheese, breadcrumbs, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Arrange 6 dumpling wrappers on a work surface in a single layer. Place 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture in the center of each and brush the edges with water. Place a second wrapper over the filling, carefully pushing out any air bubbles then pressing the edges to seal. Transfer ravioli to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the ravioli. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a gently simmer over medium heat.
- While the water comes to a simmer make the sauce. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until the mixture resembles wet sand, about 8-9 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the remaining 5 tablespoons butter and heavy cream until melted. Stir in the sage, chives and salt
- To cook the ravioli add half to the simmering water and cook, stirring gently once or twice, 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and divide between 2 plates. Add the remaining ravioli to the pot and repeat dividing between the remaining 2 plates. Spoon the sauce over the ravioli and serve with additional grated cheese if desired.