The sweet and spicy, knock-their-socks-off flavor of this sauce is also perfect for ribs and pork, so make a double batch and freeze the extra.
- Yield: Makes 6-8 servings
All you need for this recipe and more...
6 chicken thighs, about 2 1/2-3 pounds
6 chicken drumsticks, about 2-2 1/2 pounds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and chopped, about 1 cup
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the grill for medium indirect heat grilling, 350°F to 450°F.
2. For the chicken, combine the thighs, drumsticks, oil, ginger, garlic powder, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile for the sauce, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Add the ginger, garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 1-2 minutes. Add the ketchup, sugar, chili powder and 1/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sriracha and mango; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro.
4. Season the chicken with the salt and place it, skin side up, on the grill rack over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and grill 10 minutes longer. Turn the chicken again and brush the skin side generously with the sauce. Close the lid, cook 5 minutes, turn the chicken and brush with more sauce. Continue cooking until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken registers 170°F, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with remaining sauce.