The contrast of the crunchy sweet crust and frozen creamy ice cream makes this a real show-stopper. Be sure to plan ahead: while it doesnâ€™t require much of your time in the kitchen, there are several stages that require nearly 5 hours of freezing time.
- Course: Dessert
- Canola Oil
- Decadent Chocolate Sauce
- frosted corn flakes
- Ground cinnamon
- large eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
- Line a large cookie pan or baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop ice cream into 8 large balls and place them on the cookie pan. Freeze ice cream at least 2 hours or longer.
- Place the corn flake crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll the ice cream balls in the crumbs, firmly pressing on the crumbs and shaping each scoop into a smoother round. Return to the baking sheet and freeze 45 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, extract and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and roll each ball into the egg mixture to coat, shaking off the excess, then immediately roll in the corn flakes crumbs again to get a thick even coating on each. Return to the baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours or longer.
- Pour enough oil into a heavy bottomed pot to reach a depth of 3-inches. Heat the oil over medium-high until a deep fry thermometer registers 350Â°F to 375Â°F. Slowly and carefully drop the ice cream balls into the hot oil, 2-3 at a time to keep the oil from dropping temperature too much, and fry until golden, about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon, shaking off excess oil and serve immediately to a paper towel-lined to drain briefly and serve immediately.
- Drizzle with Decadent Chocolate Sauce and top with whipped cream if desired.