A meal in a salad, this dish surrounds the pork with Chinese 5-spice and sweet honey, with crisp, zesty salad flavors from citrus segments, shaved fennel and cucumber, and a fresh burst of mint.
- bulb fennel (anise)
- chardonnay or rice wine vinegar
- Chinese 5 Spice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- olive oil
- Persian cucumber
- pork loin
- Red Wine Vinegar
- ruby grapefruit or other seasonal citrus fruit
- soy sauce
- torn mint leaves
- Warm the honey and blend with the soy, red wine vinegar and spice.
- Trim the pork loin and place in a zip lock bag. Add the marinade, seal and massage mixture all over loin. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat an ovenproof pan over medium high heat
- While the pork is resting, slice the fennel and cucumber very thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife. Place in a bowl
- Whisk the oil, vinegar and reserved juices and toss through the salad with the mint.
- Slice the pork, add to the salad and serve with chilled Pinot Noir such as the Australian Yering Station, and some hot crusty bread!