Take Germanâ€™s Chocolate cake to the next level with these cupcakes that are not only topped with the caramel pecan frosting, but also filled with it.
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Course: Dessert
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking soda
- coarsely chopped pecans
- Egg yolks
- evaporated milk
- For the Cupcakes
- For the Frosting and Filling
- German's sweet chocolate
- sweetened shredded coconut
- unsalted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350Â°. Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Make the frosting/filling: Combine the evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 14 minutes, until the mixture is golden and almost pudding-like (thicker than heavy cream). Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut and chopped pecans. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely for at least 45 minutes. (May be refrigerated).
- Make the cupcakes: place the chocolate in a bowl and pour Â½ cup boiling water over it
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add the yolks one at a time, beating between additions
- Alternate adding a little flour and buttermilk, beating between additions, until both are fully incorporated.
- Spoon the batter about halfway up each paper liner. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center and top with the remaining cake batter. Bake 27-28 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the perimeter (not into the filling) comes out clean. Place the cupcake pans on a wire rack and cool. Remove the cupcakes from the pan (by inverting over the wire rack) and cool another 10 minutes. Top each cupcake with the frosting and garish with a pecan half.