Sweet coconut-crusted shrimp are fried to crisp, golden perfection and served with a mildly spicy, tangy relish in a harmony of tropical flavors
- Baking soda
- canola or peanut oil
- cayenne pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro
- finely chopped red bell pepper
- finely chopped red onion
- fresh lime juice
- JalapeÃ±o pepper
- plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- sweetened shredded coconut
- Combine the pineapple, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, lime juice cilantro, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a bowl
- Combine 2/3 cup flour, baking soda, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add the seltzer and egg and whisk until smooth. Place coconut in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat until it registers 350Â°F on a thermometer. While the oil heats, working one at a time, hold the shrimp by the tail and dip it into the batter
- Add shrimp to the oil in batches of 8-10 and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove shrimp from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Skim any coconut from the oil, return to 350Â°F and continue frying. Serve with pineapple relish.