This update on the classic mushroom and spinach crepe has a slight peppery bite from the arugula, and deeper umami flavor from the combination of shiitake, oyster and white mushrooms.
- Yield: 6 entrée
- Course: Appetizer
All you need for this recipe and more...
- All Purpose Flour
- baby arugula
- cayenne pepper
- fresh thyme
- garlic cloves
- heavy cream
- large eggs
- medium onion
- oyster mushrooms
- shiitake mushrooms
- unsalted butter
- white mushrooms
- Make the crepes: combine the flour, salt and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs, milk and butter in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Let the batter stand at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a crepe pan over medium. Whisk the batter gently and pour 1/4 cup into the pan, tilting in all directions to evenly cover the bottom. Cook until the underside of the crepe is lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the crepe over and cook 20 seconds longer. Transfer to a large plate and repeat with the remaining batter. (The crepes may be made up to two days in advance).
- For the filling: melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter foam subsides add the onion, mushrooms, thyme and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened, about 7-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook until the mushrooms have browned, about 15-17 minute. Stir in the arugula and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Return the skillet to the stove and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly pour in the heavy cream while stirring and cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the mushroom mixture and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- To assemble: place a crepe on a work surface and spoon some of the mushroom mixture across the lower third. Roll the crepe up jellyroll style and repeat with the remaining crepes and filling. Serve warm or at room temperature.