Coconut Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast with Berry SauceBy Mallory Lanz
A fun holiday brunch idea, this easy French toast recipe features a tangy, coconut cheesecake filling and a chunky berry sauce that’s sure to impress everyone.
- Yield: Serves 6
All you need for this recipe and more...
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup red raspberries
2 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berry mixture (a mixture of blueberries and raspberries will yield the best results)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 loaf French bread
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons coconut cream
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Additional powdered sugar, for garnish
1. To make the berry sauce, combine the cold water, raspberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring until the mixture thickens and turns clear. Stir in the additional 2 and ½ cups fresh or frozen berries and cook for an additional minute or two until the berries start to soften.
2. Slice the French bread into six 1 inch slices. Then, using a sharp bread knife, make an additional slice down the middle of each piece, stopping ½ inch from the bottom. Set aside.
3. To make the coconut filling, beat together the cream cheese, coconut cream, coconut extract, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut cheesecake mixture in the middle of each piece of bread.
4. Beat the eggs with a whisk and then whisk in the milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour the mixture into a pie pan or 9”round cake pan. Heat a greased Circulon® Innovatum™ 3Qt. Sauté Pan or large skillet over medium heat. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture for a few seconds, allowing each side to soak up a bit of the egg mixture. Place three pieces of toast in the pan and cook until lightly browned and the center cooked through about 3-4 minutes for each side. Repeat with the remaining three slices.
5. To serve, place each piece of toast on a plate and top with a generous helping of berry sauce. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired.