Poke shacks are popping up everywhere, but thereâ€™s no reason you canâ€™t enjoy a poke bowl at home. This classic version is a little bit sushi, a little bit Hawaii, and a whole lot of delicious.
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- Persian or Asian-style cucumber
- pickled ginger
- red pepper flakes
- seasoned rice vinegar
- sesame seeds
- sushi grade ahi Tuna
- toasted sesame oil
- white or brown rice
- In a small saucepan, cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside, covered if serving warm or uncovered if serving room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oil, honey, vinegar, and pepper flakes, if using. In a medium bowl, combine the tuna and 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce mixture, tossing gently. Set aside 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast the sesame seeds, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Gently stir the avocado into the tuna mixture. Arrange the rice in bowls and top with the tuna mixture. Arrange the cucumber, ginger, and scallions around the tuna. Drizzle with the remaining soy sauce mixture, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, and serve.