Fresh cilantro, pistachios, and Cotija cheese reinvent the classic basil pesto and serve as a sauce on tender chunks of chicken. Make a double batch of this non-traditional pesto and reserve for use on sandwiches, in pasta dishes and on pizza.
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- cloves fresh garlic
- Cotija cheese
- For the Chicken
- For the pesto
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- ground chipotle chili powder
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- shelled and roasted pistachios
- In an electric food processor or blender, blend cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cheese, chili powder and pistachios. Add Â¼ cup of the olive oil and blend the pesto. Add more olive oil until the pesto reaches the consistency youâ€™d like.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat, season chicken with salt and cook until opaque throughout. Transfer to a bowl and return pan to heat. Spoon pesto into hot pan and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to the pan, stir to coat chicken in pesto and serve over rice, pasta, or tucked inside a tortilla.